Saturday, January 30, 2010

Delivery Day Blues

We received our kitchen cabinets from IKEA yesterday. Sadly, the delivery people (yet again!) lived down to my expectations.

I would love for a delivery person to show up, do the job, let me do mine by making sure I receive everything I have paid for and then leave without issues. Unfortunately I honestly think in delivery school, the most important lesson taught is to have them announce 'I have alot of deliveries to make and don't have time to do this."

Due to the nature of IKEA, a complete kitchen comes in boxes no thicker than your thumb which means everything is knocked down and packed separately. We had sixty -five boxes, each with tiny tiny numbers indicating the article.

The kid handed me the inventory and while Pat and Thom helped them unload the truck, he stood by and complained about me checking off the inventory.

"If you finish this," he sez, "you'll be the first person I've ever had to do that."

"It's going to snow," he sez "and I have two more stops to make."

"even if you are missing something," he sez, "I can't do anything about it, I'm just a third party."

'Even if the numbers are correct on the boxes," he sez, "that's no guarantee the right article is in there." and so on and so on.

All the time, I have on my school marm voice as I remind him that we have paid for this, I know it's going to snow, and I realize he has nothing invested in making sure I have received everything.

Even though we had done his job by helping to unload the truck, rather than help me by looking for the numbers on the boxes, he thought it would be better to harangue me the entire time. .

No comments:

Post a Comment