Monday, February 22, 2010

A major change, or back to the future




We want to move our fireplace. This is easier than it seems because it doesn't have a chimney. We want to put it at the end of the kitchen cabinets with the side open to the dining room. Yesterday, during our Sunday work, Pat and I moved it. As we sat on our temporary sofa made up of Thom's pile of cement bags, I realised that was exactly where the Pope-Leighey house fireplace is located.
I know in our first drawings of our house, we had it there, can't remember why we moved it,The top pic shows the old location, the bottom the new. Now if Thom will just agree it's do-able...


In other news, Pat was atop the high trellis painting the last bit of the fascia. He didn't relish the work and afterwards commented it looks higher from up there than from down below. I told him it looked pretty high to me.(I was, as usual, on the ground)





And for the final bit, here is the trellis that defines the space between the upper portion of the house to the lower great room.

4 comments:

  1. Good decision to move the fireplace. I hope it works out. If you had it in the corner, you would have had to look away from the view out the window to enjoy the fireplace. At least that's how it looks from the photos. Plus, the kitchen laborers will be able to enjoy it, too and it looks to me that whatever heat enhancing benefits it offers would be more efficiently disseminated from that spot. BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, we are working hard to remember why we chose to put it on the far side of the room and the only thing I can think of is that perhaps we thought it would be too much in that open space/hallway between the kitchen and the dining area.

    Andy the gas guy came by and said it may even be cheaper to put it there. I nearly dropped dead on the spot. I think that was the first time the word "cheaper" had entered into any conversation about quotes. Or it could be more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'd say that was definitely a Mr. Blandings moment. Remember at the end when the well drilling guy comes by to see about a matter of $12.35? Or some amount like that. And Cary Grant goes all ballistic because he figures he owes that money to the man--just one more unexpected and unplanned for expense. But, no, it turns out the man owes it to him, instead, and took the trouble to come by and tell him--which thereby restores Mr. Blandings' faith in mankind. BB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I thought of that too. I'm chuckling that you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete