Saturday, November 7, 2009

Check it out

If you are thinking about doing something like this but are afraid to take the leap of faith, there are opportunities to actually stay in a usonian. My sister first told me about this one which is very nice, but there are others. Here is a the nice one in Pennsylvania

Here's a link to the USONIAN INN. http://www.usonianinn.com/ This website isn't wonderful as I couldn't get any pictures to open.

Here's a link to something that WILL open pictures, I think.



Here's a more high-cotton usonian, in Wisconsin.


Here's one in Illinois:

And Finally...here's one from the county where I was raised..


LAKE COUNTY OHIO has two usonians I know of. This one you can stay at and another is a private residence. Lake County also has the fewest days of sunshine in the country which is why we moved south.

This is the private residence:

The pictures in the slide show are very informative on why my entire family headed out as soon as we could. The winters are brutal. I remember driving by this house fairly regularly and knowing it was a Frank LLoyd Wright design, although the word usonian was not in my vocabulary at that time.




2 comments:

  1. I do not remember this house.
    A writing assignment that I gave my studenst was to write about La Casa de Mis Suenos--the house of my dreams. One student's essay was all about the FLW usonian design. I, of course, wrote a comment on his paper indicating that my sister and her husband were currently building one. I will see him this morning. BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was on the way to Geneva on the Lake. I remember exactly where it is, and I remember Dad mentioning it was FLW. Also, do you remember the twins' house across the street from Riverside High School in Painesville, that was a very cool design too. I forget their names. They had an older brother I think.

    ReplyDelete