Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Bon Appetit mebbe

A friend informed me that BON APPETIT has a holiday article titled, Dreaming of a Wright Christmas complete with recipes. My friend hit on two of my main cylinders. Food and houses. The other four are my daughters, Pat is the chassis.(How is THAT for an off the cuff metaphor?!)

On a run out to the Harris Teeter, braving the throes of Hurricane Ida rains, I bought the magazine and Pat promptly found an error. It is a lovely house, it is a Frank Lloyd Wright house and the recipes look delicious. The people who inhabit the house are young and gorgeous and need to reproduce to improve the gene pool.

HOWEVER, the home, the Charles F. Glore house, was built in 1951, NOT 1954 as stated in the article. We used The Vision of Frank Lloyd Wright, Thomas A Heinz, Regency House Publishing 2005. However, I can see where confusion reigns. A Herbert Angster built a house in LAKE BLUFF around the same time, and our book confuses the two. However, I went to one of my standby sites and they came down on the side of 1951.

and I guess if you're thinking about food, all bodies of water look the same.

And if this same inattention to detail follows through to recipes, well, there you go. Your holiday meal could be a big fat bust.

No comments:

Post a Comment