Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Boxing


A while back I saw a television segment on Jamie Wyeth, the American artist and son of Andrew. I thought it was on Sixty Minutes, but couldn't find anything on Youtube so I may be wrong.

In this interview the camera followed Jamie around town as he scouted new things to paint. His tool for this was a large cardboard box in which he would sit and peer out into the world through a square cut out. This cutout was his way of getting rid of all the extraneous visual information.

I thought of Jamie and his big brown box when I stood in our spare room and looked out. The eastern wall is all glass, a frame which eliminates everything but the view. This windowwall makes the very small room simultaneously cozy and expansive. It is wonderous to behold and now we're having the inevitable argument. I want THAT to be our master bedroom and leave the larger bedroom clear to be our spare room.

We shall see who wins.


This is my cardboard box view. The brace, of course, will be gone soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment