Sunday, August 16, 2009

A stake through the heart

Pat standing in our string living room



Our builder, who prefers to remain anonymous until he's sure things are going alright, has put the stakes out on the property. I happened by just when he was finished and he walked with me into the imaginary house.
"This is a small house," I stated.
"I told you it was, " he agreed, smiling down at me. Are all contractors tall?
"Well, we're used to living on an 80 sq. ft. mini-trawler, so I think we'll be good."

Later on Pat and I were walking in the string bedroom.
"It's pretty small," I said.
"We're used to living on an 80 sq. fit boat," he replied.

The house while small, is not compact; it is expansive, and even though we have a pretty good sized lot, it takes ALL of it to fit within the setbacks. Picture a ranch house split down the middle and spread open. Each wing reaches to almost the lot line. It is the difference between a person standing with her arms down at her sides and one with her arms open to hug a long lost child. Both take up the same mass in the universe; one is tight, the other welcoming

Went to the friends and family sale to actually purchase our appliances... now I KNOW we're not family. The entire transaction took place with no screaming, no guilt and no remembrances of hurtful things past.

1 comment:

  1. This was your best post yet. And I know you know this, but the house footprint always looks way, way small.
    TaTa

    ReplyDelete