Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Remakes

I woke up the other day thinking about Lost Horizon and The Philadelphia Story. Both were really good movies, excellent writing, good editing, solid stories done in black and white. They are as interesting to watch now as when they were made.

They were both redone later and both stories were lost in overproduction and techincolor. Lost Horizon, re-deux, was made in 1973. It was painful to sit through, and if my companion hadn't been in love with Liv Ullman, I think we would have walked out.

High Society is the bastardized version of The Philadelphia Story, and not even Grace Kelly's gowns could save that.

I thought about those movies, and the FLW foundation's decision to stop selling his plans for people to build houses and wondered if maybe we've just ended up with another bad remake of a really good movie. I hope not, I don't think so.

We sat on the back steps and watched Thom and Young Brian cut the death wood for the decking. It was so pleasant.

A woman who grew up in a Usonian said that living there felt like she was on a perpetual vacation. As we sat on the steps, after the guys had left, drinking our wine, snacking on cheese. I had the same feeling as when we're on a boat, watching the water. It's not just the house that I think is good, it is that the house draws us outside on warm spring days. I don't know. I don't think I'll ever know. Is this house going to end up being Bing Crosby when I had hoped for Cary Grant? We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. Here's another one--Titantic. I have never "gotten" what it is that everybody saw in that mega-movie. I thought it was sappy and except for the terrific special effects, had little to recommend it. The orginal movie about the Titanic disaster, made some time in the fifties, was a gripping story that made you really "feel" the grimness of the whole tragedy.
    On another note, knowing you and your husband the way that I do, since you have mentioned the idea of your new house feeling a bit like a boat, I am making a book recommendation. I'm only about a quarter of the way through it but it's written by a woman who in her forties leaves a successful career in publishing and "runs away to sea" in a trawler. It's called the Cure for Anything is Saltwater by Mary South.
    I should probably pass on the recommendation to our other sibling who's husband has an interest in boats--particularly because it talks a bit about Florida and environmental issues down there. BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. --not WHO'S but rather WHOSE husband. BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! And another that killed me about that stupid movie, was there they had a shipful of true human interest stories, so they made up a totally dumb story line??? Also, anything that has Bill Paxton in it always confounds me...Except for BIG LOVE, which is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete